Fried rice is a staple in our monthly menu. Not only is it really easy to prepare. It’s also very budget friendly. In fact, my kids always look forward for the “special fried rice” day. Why? Well, let’s just say that the end product never disappoints and is unpredictably yummy.
So when Harvester Farms
asked me to create something quick and child friendly with their freeze dried vegetables, I didn’t think twice. I knew right away that this one pot dish will fit the bill.
Before I share the recipe for my almost “gourmet” kid approved rice dish, I would like to tell you a little bit more about Harvester Farms freeze dried food. They had sent me a can of sweet corn and green peas to try and experiment on.
Conveniently called Emergency Food Supply, these freeze dried fruits and vegetables from Brothers All Natural are 100% natural and do not contain any preservatives or additives. In fact, each product has a shelf life of 25 years which makes it perfect for emergency preparedness. Where were you during Hurricane Sandy?
Anyway, I think wouldn’t have to wait that long to enjoy these. The fruits and veggies are actually ready to eat after all. Straight out of the can, the corn and green peas are excellent snacks. Since it doesn’t contain any extra oil, salt or sugar, I find it an excellent alternative to chips. The crunchy texture and mild flavor makes it really addictive too.
Cooking with these freeze dried vegetables is quite easy too. Just let it soak in hot water, broth or soup and it is ready to go in minutes. No need to defrost or rinse. It is a big help to have on hand especially if we want to have more vegetables on our diet.
Now, back to our featured recipe. The secret to this stir fried rice is the proper browning of the sausage. The toasted sausage bits give the rice a unique texture and flavor. Almost like bacon but with a hint of Italian spices. The corn and peas add some sweetness to this savory concoction. Easy to make yet complex in flavor.
Who knew something gourmet can come out of leftovers? Just don’t tell your friends about it.
1 Tbs. bacon grease or olive oil
2 pcs. Italian Sausage (removed from casing)
1/3 cup Harvester Farms corn
1/3 cup Harvester Farms peas
1 1/2 cup hot water
1/3 cup chopped onions
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. sea salt
6 cups cooked rice (leftovers worked perfectly well)
2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
1. In a medium sized bowl, soak the corn and peas in hot water. Let it stand for at least 20 minutes before using.
2. Remove the sausages from its casing and crumble.
3. In a large saute pan or work, brown the sausage in oil. This takes approximately 7- 10 minutes.
4. Once the meat is nicely golden brown, add the onions and cook until translucent.
5. Add the rice and mix well. Make sure there are no big lumps.
6. Season with salt and garlic powder.
7. Drain the corn and peas. Add to the rice.
8. Stir fry the rice mixture for about 8-10 minutes or until it is heated all the way through.
9. Turn off heat. Add the chopped parsley and mix.
10. Serve hot.