Chicken Tinola Recipe (Chicken and Ginger Soup)
2 1/2 to 3 lbs Chicken pieces (I used bone in thigh and 2 breasts)
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. garlic minced
1 medium sized white onion sliced into half moons
2 inch chunk of fresh ginger sliced
6 cups water
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 cup fish sauce (if you have fish allergy, feel free to use 2-3 Tbs sea salt)
1 lb fresh spinach
1. In a big dutch oven, saute garlic, onions and ginger for about 3 minutes.
2. Add the chicken pieces skin side down and sear for 4-5 minutes. Flip and sear the other side for 3 minutes.
3. Pour in water and stir. Make sure to scrape the inside bottom and sides of the dutch oven.
4. Bring to boil and simmer to 40 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Remove excess oil on top of the soup. If you have time, you can let it cool and skim the fat on top.
6. Season with fish sauce (or sea salt) and ground black pepper.
7. Add the spinach, cover with the lid and turn off heat.
8. After 5 minutes, stir and serve.
You can enjoy it as is or with steamed white rice like most Filipinos do.