Raw Protein & Greens Banana Muffins
There are so many recipes for gluten free and vegan Banana Muffins. How come I decided to create another one? Well, the answer is simple. There’s a part in me that aims to make a healthier version. Something that is loaded with protein and green vegetables but still tastes like a treat.
Am I joking? Of course not!
Have you followed me already on Instagram? If so, I’m pretty sure you’re aware of my baking obsession. Did you know that even before we found out that the kids have food allergies, I was already making homemade treats such as muffins and cookies at least three times a week?
One of the benefits I found about baking my own treats is that I can trick my children into eating more vegetables, fruits and even protein. It’s all about masking the tastes, textures and looks of the food they chose not to have.
That’s why I was really excited when Garden of Life asked me to try their new product called Raw Protein and Greens. It is a protein and veggie powder that is loaded with protein (from pea, sprouted brown rice, chia, navy bean sprout, lentil bean sprout and garbanzo bean sprout) and greens (including kale, spinach, broccoli, carrot, beet and whole leaf alfalfa grass). Plus, it contains a blend of raw probiotic and enzymes.
The ingredients are certified USDA organic and NON GMO verified. Best of all, it’s raw, vegan, gluten, dairy, egg, soy, nut and peanut free. (As for this writing, I’m also waiting for their response regarding the facility and production process.)
Though the powder is excellent for smoothies, I raised it up a notched and used it in my baking. The result was this delicious muffin with a sponge cake-like texture. Light, airy and moist, no one can tell that it’s actually gluten free, vegan and filled with healthy elements.
1 cup rice flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup teff flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup organic sugar
1/4 cup avocado oil (you can use any neutral tasting oil)
2 Tbs. ground flax seed
6 Tbs. lukewarm water
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1Tbs. oil (optional for greasing muffin tins )
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Prepare 2 standard size muffin tins by either brushing it with oil or lining it with paper muffin cups.
2. Make a flax goo by combining the ground flax seed and water. Set aside for at least 5 minutes before using.
3. In a bowl whisk together the rice flour, teff flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking powder and baking soda.
4. With the help of a mixer, cream the sugar, oil and flax goo.
5. When the mixture is light and airy, slowly add the mashed bananas. Mix until well combined.
6. While the mixer is running, slowly add the flour mixture. Be careful not to over mix.
7. Transfer batter to the prepared muffin tins. This batter rises really well so make sure each cavity is just half filled.
8. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Then reduce oven temperature to 350F. Bake for addition 8-10 minutes. The muffins are ready when it pulls from the side and when a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out almost clean.
The giveaway has ended! Congratulations to the winners!
Now for the special treat! Our friends from Garden of Life are so generous, they are giving a canister of Raw Protein & Green (retails at $44.95 and the secret ingredient in the Banana Muffins above) to five (5) lucky US or Canada based readers. Giveaway ends March 11, 2016 11:59 pm EST.
(Note: I received free products from the company to test for this review. Also, this post contains affiliate links. See my full disclosure here.)