I can’t believe the flu bug just visited our place. Last week, 5 out of 6 family members were on bed rest for the whole week. With just one “nurse” to attend to everybody’s needs, (yup I was the last one standing), I decided to make my favorite comfort food – Italian Wedding Soup.
In this version, I used quinoa instead of the traditional small round pasta. I like the quinoa because it’s gluten free, loaded with protein and doesn’t get soggy when reheated.
Once the meatballs were cooked through, this recipe can also be transferred to a crock pot so it stays warm and ready when someone needs to eat. A big help especially when having a nice family meal isn’t possible.Whether you have someone who’s sick at home or have a very hectic schedule, I suggest you give this easy to prepare comfort food a try. I’m sure it will definitely make you feel better.
1. Mix the flaxmeal and water to make a goo. Set aside for 5 minutes.
2. Using a food processor, finely chop the parsley and onions.
3. In a big bowl, combine the onion-parsley mixture, crushed multi grain crackers, flax goo, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
4. Add the ground beef and using your hands, mix it thoroughly. Form into balls about 1 tablespoon each. Set aside.
5. In a big pot, saute garlic, onions, celery and carrots in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
6. Add the stock and bring to boil.
7. Once the stock starts to boil, slowly add the meatballs and quinoa. Let it boil again and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for at least 20 minutes.
8. Add the kale pieces and simmer for another 15 minutes.
9. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with chili flakes.
(Note: This post contains affiliate links. Though no cost to you, whenever you purchase using the links, I get a small commission which help cover the costs of maintaining the website. Thanks for your support.)