These fish cakes made with already cooked tilapia fillets are a breeze to prepare and are very affordable. In fact, this recipe enabled me to use the super pricey cheese substitute that we bought and my kids later refused to eat.
If you are not concerned about any food allergies, feel free to use regular cheese and mayonaise. I’m pretty sure, it will turn out good too.
5 cups cooked white fish (I used tilapia fillets)
1/2 cup Daiya mozarella style shreds (If you can have cheese, feel free to use it)
1/2 cup Earth Balance Original Mindful Mayo (You can also use regular mayonnaise)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
pinch of chili flakes
1 tbs chopped scallions
1 tsp fresh lime juice
1. Using your hands, flake the fish into small pieces.
2. Add the remaining ingredients to the fish. Mix until well combined.
3. Form into patties about 3 inch in diameter and 1/2 inch thick.
4. Heat a non stick pan or griddle. (medium heat)
5. Place about 4 patties and cook about 4 minutes or until the side near the pan is golden brown.
6. Flip carefully and cook for another 2-4 minutes.
7. Serve hot.
– I used leftover cooked fish in this recipe. If you don’t have any available, you can either bake or steam the fish fillets. Then cool before using.
– Since mayo was included in the recipe, you don’t need any oil to fry the fish cakes. In fact, you will see some oil in the pan as it cooks.
– Make sure you are using a non stick pan and is properly heated before adding the fish cakes. This prevents it from sticking to the pan.
– Depending on your diet, you can serve this over rice, salad greens or even with bread.