Anyway, I realized that it has been a while since I posted a recipe. So today, I’m sharing with you one of the family’s new favorite snack and weekend breakfast treat. These easy to make muffins are very light, it can pass as a delicious cupcake base. It’s also filled with healthy dried cranberries (kids’ new fruit to try) which give that sweet and tangy flavor we all love.
If you are looking for something new to serve for Easter brunch or just a healthier lunch box treat, I suggest you give this one a try. Even those who aren’t vegan or in a gluten filled diet will never know the difference. As my kids’ say “It’s 4 thumbs up!”
Have a great week my friends.
1 cup oat flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup avocado oil (you can also use canola, coconut or sunflower oil)
2/3 cup raw organic sugar
2 Tbs. flax meal
6 Tbs. lukewarm water
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup dried cranberries
1. Combine the flax meal and water in a small bowl to make a flax goo. Set aside for at least 5 minutes before using.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line muffin tins with paper baking cups. This recipe makes about 16 – 18 standard sized muffins.
3.In a bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients (flours, starches, salt, baking powder, baking soda and salt).
4. In another bowl, with the help of a stand up or handheld mixer, cream the oil, sugar, flax goo, applesauce and vanilla extract. This takes about a 1-2 minutes.
5. Withe the mixer running, slowly add the flour mixture. Mix until the flour is well incorporated and there are no lumps.
6. Stir in 1/3 cup of dried cranberries.
7. Fill the muffin tins 2/3’s full with the batter. Top with dried remaining cranberries.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
9. Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with powdered sugar before serving.
Tip: If you can have white chocolate, melt some in the microwave and drizzle on top of the muffins before serving.