Gluten Free Banana Oat Cold Porridge
Hello June! With the temperatures reaching 90’s already here in New Jersey, I can’t help but start making and stocking up on cold dishes and treats. One of the latest favorites in our home is this Banana Oat Cold Porridge. Yes, it’s gluten and dairy free of course.
Unlike most overnight oat recipes, this porridge is cooked first (in the microwave) and then stored in the fridge. This simple process not only gives the porridge a creamier consistency, it also makes it taste rich without the added fats. A big plus for me and my husband as we now work on losing that dreaded weight gain from last winter.
Well, to be really honest, that weight loss is now a priority in our home not out of vanity but necessity. Let’s just say that on the outside, we look fine. Inside though, the mister’s cholesterol and blood sugar is out of control and our doctor isn’t happy. As for me, I always feel sluggish and I can’t keep up with the energy of the boys.
This recipe is not only a delicious breakfast, snack or dessert, it is also a healthier one which all of us at home can enjoy.
My girls can make it by themselves too.
1/4 cup gluten free oats (I used Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free Steel Cut Oats)
1 cup non dairy milk (We used GOOD KARMA Flax Milk, Vanilla)
1 ripe banana sliced into circles
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 packet Truvia Natural Sweetener
1. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the oats, cinnamon and sweetener.
2. Slowly add 1/2 cup of the non dairy milk.
3. Microwave on high for 40 seconds.
4. Mix well and add 1/4 cup of milk.
5. Heat again in the microwave oven for a total of 1 minute and 30 seconds. It is important to do it in 30 second increments otherwise, it will boil over.
6. Carefully remove the bowl from the microwave oven, add remaining non dairy milk and bananas. Mix really well.
7. Transfer to a mason jar or any container with lid. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before putting the lid.
8. Refrigerate overnight.
9. Serve cold and enjoy.
(Note: This post contains affiliate links. See my full disclosure here.)