Growing up, I am not a huge fan of vegetables particularly carrots. I remember how my mom (who happened to be a struggling cook) would painstakingly make bite sized deep fried vegetable spring rolls so that she can “hide” or “trick” me into eating this food group. Well, I admit, it did work. I mean, is here anyone who could resist crunchy spring rolls for breakfast, lunch and dinner?
Anyway, everything changed when I had my first slice of the carrot cake from a newly opened bakery near our home. Who knew vegetables can taste heavenly too?
This recipe was reminiscent of that feeling. Loaded with carrots, these doughnuts are a delectable treat that I don’t feel guilty serving to my kids.
Though I love to add some frosting on top, I often leave it as it is to avoid extra sugar and make it school snack friendly. A dusting of confectioner’s sugar at the end, not only adds some sweetness, it also makes it a prettier.
Are you craving now? Me too. I think it’s time to make another batch just for me. Want to give this a try? What are you waiting for? If you need any help, just let me know.
2 Tbs. flax meal
6 Tbs. lukewarm water
3/4 cup sugar (I used Wholesome Organic Sugar )
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tsp. molasses (you can also use maple syrup)
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon powder
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Chinese 5 spice powder
1 1/2 cup finely grated carrots
1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional) This will is just for dusting after the donuts are done.
1. Preheat an electric donut maker.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flax meal and water to make a flax goo. Set aside for at least 5 minutes before using.
2. Whisk together all the dry ingredients. Set aside.
3. With the help of an electric mixer, cream the oil and sugar until it is light in color.
4. Add the flax goo and molasses.
5. Slowly add the flour mixture until just combined. Don’t over mix.
6. Fold in the carrots.
7. Drop about 2 Tbs. of the batter on the donut maker crevices. Bake for 7-8 minutes.
8. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.