It’s BBQ season!
Since I’m not a big fan of cooking outdoors, this basic slow cooker pulled pork recipe has been a total lifesaver. Yes, it calls for 3 pounds of meat but don’t freak out. The leftovers can be frozen and used to make other meals. It works well as a filling for tacos and quesadilla, protein addition to garlic fried rice and it is even a super yummy nacho topping.
I always have a stash of this BBQ pulled pork in the fridge and I let the kids do “their own thing” with it. Believe me, the possibilities are endless! Right at the very end of this post, I included additional serving suggestions for the pulled pork salad. Don’t just stop there. Feel free to add your favorite ingredients and customize it according to your taste.
This super easy recipe is a crowd pleaser and can definitely feed an army. Whether you are having a get together or simply trying to meal plan, this is something you must try. Oh, I almost forgot, it is budget friendly too.
(Note: This post contains affiliate links.)
Ingredients for the Basic Pulled Pork Recipe
- 3 lbs. pork tenderloin or pork butt
- 3 Tbs. adobo seasoning
- 1 16 oz bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (I used Wegman’s organic)
- 1 big onion sliced
- 1 English cucumber sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 head of butter lettuce (washed and separated)
- Generously season the pork with the adobo seasoning. Make sure you rub the seasoning really well.
- Place the seasoned pork in the slow cooker.
- Spread the onions slices on top of the pork.
- Add the BBQ sauce, making sure that it is evenly distributed on the pork.
- Cover with the lid and cook on high for 5 hours.
- Using two big forks, shred the meat and mix well with the sauce.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Place a few pieces of butter lettuce on a place.
- Add 1/4 cup of BBQ pulled pork.
- Arrange a some slices of cucumber and tomatoes.
- Top with more sauce from the pulled pork.
- Pulled pork bowl – on top of steamed rice then finish off with guacamole, cheese and sour cream
- Use a filling for sandwich bun or wrap
- Pulled pork quesadilla (Add cheese and place between 2 tortilla. Warm both sides until the cheese melts)