Blueberries are in season now. As with any New Jersey local will tell you, “Nothing can compete with NJ Blueberries. They are simply the best.” If you don’t believe me, try some blueberry wine and I’m sure your lives will forever change.
Seriously though, any good cook or chef will tell you that the quality of ingredients do have an impact in the final product. These gluten free and vegan muffins made with fresh blueberries are a perfect example of that.
Because the blueberries are sweet and juicy, I’ve used less sugar and oil in this recipe. The result though is still moist, full of flavor and yes delicious.
To make it extra special, I melted some Cocomels Coconut Milk Caramels and spread it on top of the muffins just before serving.
(Note: This post contains affiliate links. While no cost to you, I get a small commission when you purchase using the links in this post. You can see my full disclosure here. Thank you so much for your support.)
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs. flax meal
- 6 Tbs. lukewarm water
- 2/3 cup sugar (I used organic sugar in the raw)
- 1 1/2 cups rice flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Line muffins tins with cupcake liners or silicone cupcake molds. (This recipe makes 12 standard size muffins.)
- In a small bowl, combine the flax meal and water. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, whisk together the rice flour, starches, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Using another big bowl, cream the sugar, flax – water mixture and oil until light and fluffy.
- While the mixer is running, add the blueberries.
- Slowly add the flour mixture.
- Increase the speed of the mixer so that the berries will be blistered or mashed. This will take about 2-4 minutes. The batter will turn bluish.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared muffins tins.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and let it cool down for at least 5 minutes before removing from the pan.