Recipe Box: Gluten Free Penne with Turkey and Peas
The kids are turning 10, 12, 14 and 16 this year. Can you believe it?
With growing teenagers and tweens in the house, I am now feeling the tremendous increase of food consumption caused by growth spurts. Moms with younger ones, I am not exaggerating when I used the word tremendous. Just wait and see.
While most parents of older children say I’m just starting and I haven’t reached the peek of grocery bills (yikes), I can’t deny the fact that I am already struggling to cope with these kids’ appetite.
Since most of our meals are still from scratch due to multiple food allergies, I am now learning to utilize all the things inside our pantry as well as the leftovers in the freezer to make easy to prepare dishes that are filling, nutritious and of course, delicious.
This penne dish is full of flavor, ready in 30 minutes and yes, allergy friendly. It’s great after school snack or quick dinner when the kids have a tight schedule.
By using quinoa pasta instead of corn or rice based, there’s more protein in this dish that will help keep the kids feel full longer. Oh, and this type of pasta has no “bean-y” taste and it also holds its shape better. Just follow this foul proof method of cooking the perfect gluten free pasta.
Special thanks to our friends at Tresomega for sending me a jar of coconut oil and some pasta to try for this recipe. If you miss that chewy al dente texture from regular pasta, then give Tresomega a try.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. While no cost to you, I get a small commission when you make a purchase using the link. Thank you so much for your continued support.
- 1 Tbs. Tresomega Coconut Oil
- 2 cups cooked turkey meat (shredded)
- 1 15 oz marinara sauce (my favorite is Rao’s Marinara)
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 8 oz box Tresomega Quinoa penne pasta cooked (Here’s my foul proof way of cooking GF pasta)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- In a big pan, heat up the coconut oil.
- Saute turkey meat and peas for 7 minutes
- Add the marinara sauce.
- Season with salt, pepper, thyme and sage.
- Once the sauce is heated through, add the cooked pasta.
- Mix well until all the pasta is coated with the sauce.
- Turn off heat and serve immediately.