Chicken Salad is considered a staple. From deli’s to diners to grocery stores, it is rare not to find a sandwich without this healthy comfort food as a filling. I mean it’s very easy to prepare, often times healthier and yes, super budget friendly.
Over the years, I have made several versions of the beloved Chicken Salad. This updated recipe so far, is my all time favorite. Inspired by my mom’s famous chicken macaroni salad, this recipe is a bit more savory than those found in the stores. The secret ingredient (not anymore) which is canned pineapple gives this dish that slightly sweet and sour flavor that compliments well with the creaminess of the mayo.
I’ve used a specific brand of egg free mayo for this recipe because of its unique cucumber and dill flavor. If you don’t have it, you can always substitute any regular mayonnaise or vegan mayo spread. Yes, it will still taste delicious. But if you can get a hold of the O’dang mayo, splurge. It really elevates this salad to the next level.
If you feel that this recipe seems a lot (about 4 cups in total), it is actually not. This chicken salad is very versatile. You can use it as a sandwich filling, on top of salad greens for a low carb lunch or even as a party dip. My kids even use it as a quesadilla filling!
Give it a try. I’m sure you’ll love it too. I wouldn’t call it “my favorite” for nothing.
This post contains affiliate links. While no extra costs to you, I receive a commission when you purchase using the links below. As always, I only recommend things that I personally use and love.
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken meat (I like to use the chicken breast meat.)
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 cup O’dang Cucumber Dill Egg Free Mayo
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- In a big bowl, combine the chicken, pineapple, celery and carrots.
- Add the mayo, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Mix well. Make sure that the seasonings are evenly distributed.
- Transfer to glass container with lid and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve cold.