Growing up in an Asian household, the rice cooker is an essential appliance. I can’t even imagine a kitchen without it! Though I’ve used this gadget to make streamed rice for decades, it was only a few years ago that I started experimenting and eventually make one pot meals with it.
Cooking meals with this portable small appliance was a game changer. There are no complicated buttons or temperature settings to master. It automatically turns off on it’s own which meant no burnt food. Oh, it also has a keep warm feature that you guess it, keeps the food warm for hours.
This super easy Rice and Beans recipe is one of our family’s favorites. It’s a delicious and complete vegetarian dish that is very affordable too. Perfect as is but you can definitely serve it as a side dish to any grilled meat like steaks, porkchops, chicken or fish.
If you are having a party, this Rice and Beans dish goes well with the BBQ Slow Cooker Pulled Pork. You can literally feed and army without spending a fortune or slaving in the kitchen.
This post contains affiliate links.
- 3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 5 2/3 cups stock or water
- Rinse and drain the rice three time using tap water.
- Put the prepped rice in the removable pot that came with the rice cooker.
- Add all the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Put the pot inside the rice cooker. Close lid and press the cook button. Make sure your setting is on “regular white rice” if you are using a digital one.
- Once the rice is done, using a spatula, gently mix to fluff up the rice and distribute the other ingredients evenly.
- Serve hot.